Thursday, January 19, 2012

Project: Redoing the Main Floor Bath Walls

Before
Actually this post should be called, "A Moment of Insanity".  As I go the bathroom in our main floor bath, (let's be realistic now, why else would I be hanging out in there?) I continue to see more and more rabid animals in the print of the wallpaper.  I did say this was a moment of insanity, right?  I see my wolf, my two elephants side by side, a donkey facing upward, and most recently a pig/alligator hybrid. And, I can't take it anymore. I don't like them and I'm pretty sure they've all been talking behind my back. This wallpaper has to go. I've been contemplating doing this on occasion but never had the guts to make the first rip. Once that first rip is made, there is no turning back.

End of Day 2
I proceeded to first call my friend Audree who has had much experience with wallpaper removal to see how to go about it. After a half hour convo, I felt pretty confident in my endeavor and that it would only take a few hours to get the job done. I send a quick text to Scott (oh yeah, better get him involved)- "You don't care about the wallpaper in the bathroom do you? No? Ok, well its coming down then."  Moving along...  Well, here we are at the end of day 2 and I don't even have one tiny wall done. In my defense, I am only working on this during his naps and I am trying to preserve the paint underneath. As luck would have it, the color I planned on painting the room was actually underneath the wallpaper. Woot! Woot! This same color is on the ceiling and I wasn't about to repaint the ceiling. No way. Why the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to WALLPAPER over this nice paint is just another reason we shake our heads at them. Who wallpapers anymore, seriously?  I am going to be using some different techniques as the days go on, so hopefully we will see some progress!  These techniques include Craigslisting free wallpaper scraps as long as they remove it themselves, or just ripping off a piece or two when we go the bathroom.  Hopefully, I will have this project done by the end of the year or so.  I am also going to be scoring all of the walls and spraying them down with a hot water/vinegar mixture in hopes it will loosen it up a bit.  Ok, I'm just gonna do that last one. Wish me luck!

Do you see any more animals in the paper that I might have missed?

1 comment: