Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Project: Film Gallery Wall

Those who know me well, know I have a great passion for film. I took many film classes in college and almost got a film minor, but they stopped offering the classes needed at the time I was going to complete it.  One of the things I regret about school, was not taking a couple more film classes with my favorite professor.  She was a great inspiration to me and really encouraged me in my writing and evaluation of the films we studied.

Since finishing our basement, I have wanted to turn it in to my film room- dreaming of film strips lining the walls and stars everywhere. For practical, financial, and resale value reasons, I decided to go another way.  My first project was a gallery wall in the spot above the couch. I wasn't too thrilled with what was up there- the fabric covered canvas- so I decided to do something about it.   I rounded up all the black frames we already had, bought a few to fill in the gaps, and started playing with the layout.

My favorite blog as of late, Young House Love, likes to do shout outs to their sponsors and one of them, A Vintage Poster, caught my eye.  YHL had ordered a print for their office from them that was really neato, so I thought I would take a gander.   I looked at their site, and an old video camera, a penguin, and the same print that YHL got struck my fancy (but in a light blue).  Also, if you buy three, you get 25% off, so why not?  There were others that I really liked as well, so maybe down the line I can go back for more. You can pick any colors that fit with your color scheme, so it makes it easier to choose. They came within a week and I'm pretty sure I skipped back from the mailbox in 10 degree weather. I had just gotten the frames right before so I stopped everything and got to work putting these babies together!

Below are the prints I chose for Nolan's Room- The first one (the one YHL ordered) reads, "When I grow up, I want to be a photographer...or an octopus".   I thought that one was just precious for a child's room as it plays on their imagination and way of thinking.  The second print is, of course, a little penguin. His room doesn't have a theme, per se, but he sure has a lot of penguins. And we are ok with that. :)  Below is how I placed them on his wall on each side of the curtains.



A couple nights later, I decided to put together the gallery wall. I got all the pictures printed on our printer, did a layout on the wall with paper so I could move it around just to where I wanted them, and started hanging!  In the very center is the 3rd print I got- the old film camera (kinda hard to see in the picture, though).  I was debating what else to put in each of the frames, but I decided on the word "film", a film strip,  a variation of our favorite movies being filmed with the cameras in sight, and the actors talking with the directors. Most people only think of the actors while watching a movie, but never think of all the people behind the scenes. Can't wait for you all to see it... I can't stop staring. The total for the entire wall, including the purchased print, cost about $25. For a full wall, I thought that was a great deal.



Let's look at some of my favorites, shall we?

French film director, Jean-Luc Godard
The Godfather: Brando and Pacino talking with director Coppola
Gone With the Wind: being filmed


A very easy and inexpensive project- just printing photos from the internet and slapping up some frames.  You can tell I am very proud of it, especially since I did the whole thing by myself. :)  So, come on over and we can grab some candy and popcorn, sit on the couch backwards and stare up at my wall.  Lights, camera, film wall!

1 comment: