Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Fun

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year!  We sure did and had fun with family with good food and good conversation. 

This year I brought the mashed potatoes and the stuffing.  I went to my mom to get her recipe for her mashed potatoes because they are just awesome.  Lots of great flavor.  I didn't get a picture, but I'm sure you can all imagine what mashed potatoes look like... :)  The stuffing was your good ol' Stove Top.  Can't do much better than that.  And we just bought the packet gravy which we mixed in with some real gravy so it tasted great!

Here is the recipe:

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
 
10 large potatoes
1/2 c. - 3/4 c. milk
6 T. margarine or butter
Salt to taste
8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup sour cream
Butter (approx 2 T.)
Paprika to taste

Pare potatoes. Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling. Add potatoes, cover and heat to boiling, reduce heat. Boil until tender 30-35 minutes; drain. Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
Beat in milk in small amounts. Add margarine or butter, salt and beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy. Add cream cheese, sour cream, and mix well.
 
Place in greased casserole or 9 x 13 pan. Top with butter, and paprika. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Makes 10-12 servings.
 
I also wanted to do something a little special this year.  I was watching Giada's Thanksgiving episode where she made these Thanksgiving Chocolate Turkeys.  I knew that Nolan would be too little to make one, but I thought the older kids might have fun with them, so I brought the ingredients, and they seemed to enjoy it!  It was just another activity to keep the kids preoccupied.  I only put 4 candy corns in there cause the Oreo was about ready to split as it was.  I just made one for them and they copied my model.  I also didn't deal with melting the semi sweet chocolates to adhere the candy to one another, I just had them use the red frosting and it worked out well.

Recipe for the Chocolate Turkeys can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment