Thursday, August 30, 2012
The Hunger Games Movie
When we got back from our trip, I was wondering what the next thing we had coming up was. The first thing that came to mind was The Hunger Games movie out on Blu Ray on August 18th! Woot woot! I debated going at midnight to get it just to be extra dramatic about it, but thinking rationally that most of the public aren't literally going to be in line to grab this like it was a Black Friday deal, I decided to sleep and wake up the next morning to buy it. They only had 5 left at 7:00 AM and I panicked when I couldn't find them right away. I asked two people at Wal-mart like I was a lost puppy looking for it's owner.
But I got it. And it was beautiful. I used to buy every single movie I ever watched, liked, thought I would like, no joke. I haven't bought a movie in like two years and this was a "worth it" purchase. Thanks to Netflix, we have no need to have every movie in our possession.
Held against his will, I made Scott watch it with me that night. I was peeing myself all day cause I couldn't wait to watch it. I think he secretly wanted to see it and see what the hype was all about. I had never seen it in theaters, so I had no clue if it was going to be great. I was also wondering if he would like it without reading the books. I would have to say that I loved it, he liked it, and he liked it without reading the books. Kim and Joe and my dad all watched it that evening as well and Kim and I were texting during it as Kim was ahead of us in watching it. I wanted to know if it was gory and she texted me that she hadn't gotten to "that part yet" but that it was "magical". I don't think I could have come up with a better word myself.
The whole movie was amazing. From the costume design, to the actors, to the directing, and editing. So wonderful. One thing that I noticed that the movie loses a little bit compared to the book is how much Katniss thinks about things. Something that takes 5 seconds in the movie and appears as though no thought went into it could have been 3 pages in the book of her processing it, assessing the situation, and acting on it. Even in the special features (which of course I watched all of them) they stated that they were not sure how to get around the fact that the majority of the book is Katniss' thoughts and they didn't want to do a voice over so they had to make the movie the best way they could that would make the most sense. And I thought it was brilliant. You also get to see some extra things that weren't in the book such as how The Gamemakers did things during the Games and what their station looked like. You also get to see some more private conversations between President Snow and Seneca Crane that aren't in the book. Seneca's character is maybe mentioned in two sentences in the book and he has a big part in the movie, so that was also something a bit different. He gets mentioned in the second book and I had to go back to see who he even was- that's how little he was in the first. Another thing is the movie seems short because there were all these "shortcuts" leaving out all of her thoughts. But, the movie is like 2 1/2 hours long. You don't feel like it is that long when its over and it definitely leaves you wanting more. I can't wait another year for the next one. Eeeek.
I think they picked the perfect actors for these parts too. Before I read the book, I actually looked up who played each one and that is who I pictured while reading the book, so that may have swayed my judgment on who was playing them. You get to see the likes of Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, and the one Scott was most excited about- Donald Sutherland. I did see that for the next one they picked Sam Claflin to play Finnick and since I had already read the book and had a vision in my mind of what he looked like, I was kind of disappointed, but it will be interesting to see how they turn him into him. Finnick is supposed to be the buffest, most perfect male specimen, and Sam Claflin leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure they will get him to play the part perfectly. Along with most of who was in the first movie, there are also a lot more big names coming up in the second movie as well including Philip Seymour Hoffman and possibly Tony Shalhoub.
I don't want to ruin anything by telling the plot and I do think it helps to read the books first as I did feel some explanation was needed in some parts but Scott said he got it and didn't really need it. While watching the special features, Scott said, "Damn, I'm gonna need to read these books." I kind wanted to shout "I TOLD YOU SO" to his face, but I had a little dignity and smiled to myself. Haha- yeah right. I totally yelled that. It's just great and it made me want to read the second two books again but I have a few on my plate before I can go repeatsies on these. I ended up watching it again two days later and I'm sure I will watch it a few more times before the next one comes out. The premise is one that is so unique in many ways in the fact that you have to just see it or read it for yourself if you haven't yet!
Labels:
Movies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great book. Great Movie!! Now on to Book 2. The movie doesn't come out until November of 2013 on book two. That's a long wait.
ReplyDelete