Saturday, August 25, 2012

Newport Trip: Day 4

And here we are at the fourth and final day of our Newport Trip.  It was a bittersweet day because we were having a lot of fun, but we were sure ready to get back to our little man.  We woke up and got everything packed up in the car and decided to walk around a bit before our reservations for The Mooring at noon. We looked in some shops we hadn't gone in yet, found some neat anchors :)  and got a closer look at St. Mary's Cathedral where JFK and Jackie O got married.

 

St. Mary's Parish


Lobster Store and Restaurant.  You could buy them from the tanks or eat them at their restaurant right inside.  We were told this was the best place to get a lobster roll.  Don't get much fresher than the catch that morning.
These little water bowls were on a lot of the outside store stands for the dogs.  Told you they were dog friendly.

 We still had a bit of time before The Mooring opened for the day so I took a picture of these pretty chairs overlooking the water.  How fun is that?


And ahhh, here we are at The Mooring.  Easily the best place we ate the entire trip.  It was a great way to end a fun weekend.  Click here for their website.



This Bag of Doughnuts appetizer was recommended to us by Megan.  She definitely did not steer us wrong.  Absolutely amazing.  They were sort of like fancy hush puppies with lobster, crab, and shrimp in the middle.


 I tried to open one up but it is kind of hard to see the lumps of lobster and crab meat.


This was our view from our table.  And no, I didn't zoom in.  We were right on the water and it was so beautiful.


I got the Atlantic Salmon.  It was piled on asparagus, tomatoes, and ricotta gnocchi.  I told Scott this was the best meal I have ever eaten in my life.  It was cooked to perfection.   I wish seafood was the main meat source in Nebraska as this is my kind of food. :)


And here we have Scott's bundle of joy- the Mooring Scampi.  It came with a full lobster tail, scallops, shrimp, and other fun goodies.  I think he was in heaven.  The scallops were so tender.  We were so unbelievably full by the end of it we could barely move.


Even though we were full, we decided to treat ourselves to some frozen yogurt at Orange Leaf and then went to go see the Museum of Newport History.  It was just a small little number in the upstairs portion of the Museum of Newport History store.  Pretty interesting I would say.



 After the museum, we decided to call it a day and head to the airport.  We went back over the Pell Bridge and back to Providence for our flights.  Anyone who has gotten a Pell Grant for college- this bridge was named after the same guy.


Our flights were on time and we got safely home around 11 PM.   What a great place to vacation and I hope it's not the last time I get to go there.  Definitely somewhere I would recommend for a family once your kids are old enough to walk on their own for a full day as they don't allow strollers in the mansions and such. We couldn't wait to get up in the morning to see our little boy and give him a big huge hug.  It was wonderful to get away just the two of us for a bit, but we were so happy to be all together again.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, looks like they came out of a magazine! Food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete