Friday, April 13, 2012

Cake: Kim's Bachelorette Party

After I completed Kim's bridal shower cake I told Scott, I don't think I want to make any more for awhile, so I might skip making Kim's bachelorette cake and just go buy one.  Well, a day later, I was ready to go at it again.  Maybe because I really wanted to see if I could do a certain design and I knew it didn't have brown in it.  Man, that brown.  I wanted to make this cake one layer higher than my previous two cakes and I didn't have the utmost confidence in having a three layer "cake", so I decided to, you guessed it (or not) use Rice Crispie treats for the bottom.  A sturdy, yet fun surprise of a layer to have as the base of the cake.  I was going for sort of a petal/skirt situation with a belt like thing on top.  I wanted to cover the top with something as there were some imperfections in the fondant so I impulsively carefully decided to start adding some zebra stripes and they looked pretty good!

So, it started out all alone like this:


Then, after the cakes were baked, she got a bit of a crumb coating and looked like this:


Then, voila!  She all of a sudden looked like this!  A little rocky but I eventually smoothed out some of the jaggedy edges:


 A shot of the zebra action:


Here is her backside:


And of course a little side pose:

Don't look too closely as there are a ton of imperfections, but everyone thought the cake looked great.  Some asked us where we bought it.  And I got many many compliments on how it tasted so I would say it was a success!  I don't really take any credit for taste as all I have to do is dump some things in a bowl, mix, and bake.  Betty Crocker, you did it again.  For those curious, it costs less than $10 including everything (frosting, cake, fondant, etc.) to make this cake and about 3-4 hours of time baking, frosting, fondant rolling, and designing. If I would have tried to buy one like this, I would have had to pay at least three times as much.  I feel like I am getting a little better each time.  It was a really fun design I wanted to try and looked absolutely nothing like my inspiration cake, but it turned out alright nonetheless!  Still planning to make Nolan's cake so we will see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment