Sunday, February 26, 2012

Project: The Bathroom is DONE!

 Finally, finally, finally I can say that this bathroom is completed! Woot woot!

As soon as the wallpaper was off, I spent the next couple of days scraping glue off every inch of the walls, and then I proceeded to sand them.  Target had a nice sanding set with 3 different levels of sanding power.  I ended up sanding the entire room with the 180, other parts with the 120, and the worst parts with the 80, so they all came in handy.  I wiped down the walls with a wet cloth, let the wall dry, and I was ready to paint!

I found all the painting supplies at Target as they had a lovely paint kit for $11 that included 2 rollers, a brush, paint edger and pad, and tray.  Everything you could ever need for a small project such as this.  According to the "experts" on the Internet, they say to paint the trim first so that is what I did.

Before trim paint
After one coat of trim paint
After two coats, it was beautiful and perfect and made me happy looking at it after it was done.  Fast forward to being done painting the walls and removing the blue painters tape, I revealed horrible, unsightly paint blood that had seeped under the tape onto my pretty trim.  I didn't end up taping the crown molding on the ceiling and that looked better than this mess.  I REALLY wish I would have heard of Frog Tape before I started this bathroom but unfortunately it was after the war I had with the trim.   Frog Tape creates a seal if paint hits it so no paint can bleed through.  Oh well, you live and you learn and I will definitely be looking for this in the future if we ever have another painting project.

Now, on to the war I fought with the trim. So, I tried painting over the rust paint on the trim and I would get white paint on the walls. I went back and forth and am so OCD that it took about 6 times back and forth til I thought it looked ok enough to live with. It's not perfect, but I couldn't handle going back and forth anymore. I ended up getting a tiny paintbrush to fix the parts that really bugged me.

But, I am excited to say I did every single bit of this by myself. Every single piece of wallpaper was scraped/ripped by me, all glue removal, everything. And I am so proud of myself.  I do have to give some credit to my mom though, who brought over some tools we didn't have to get the toilet paper and towel holder off the wall, which she also took off in the meantime.  Also, Scott unscrewed the light bulb covers for me and I would like to thank Brooke for watching Nolan the last day so I could get a few solid hours of painting done.  Helped greatly!

Here are some before and after shots! I'm SO excited to be done, you have no idea. This has consumed 1-4 hours/day for over a month of my life, depending on nap length, whether I could still turn my head to the left or not from soreness, or what have you. Nolan is happy too cause he doesn't have to be concerned as to what those strange scraping noises are while he sleeps.  Because we saved money on not having to buy paint, I decided to replace the squiggly mirror-framed mirror with a nice bronze framed one that I think fits better with the new room.

Before

Progress
Progress
After
After


How clean looking is that?!  I absolutely love how it turned out.  I have caught myself standing in the doorway and just staring for unhealthy periods of time.  Hard work, but so worth it.

2 comments: