Thursday, February 16, 2012

Recipe: Pizza Loaf/Pizza Dream

So the name of this next recipe makes it sound...well loafy.  That is not the case.  I'm not sure how it got its name and I'm pretty sure I'm going to change it right now to... Pizza Dream.  It's early and I don't feel like being more creative. :)  This is a fine dish that we have had at Sarah and Rob's a couple of times and it is SOOOOO good.  It's one of their recipes they came up with or was handed down or something like that, but I don't know why I never asked for the recipe before.

I had to change some things because I couldn't find plain Italian frozen bread at Target, so I bought frozen garlic bread.  It was much smaller than what Sarah uses as you are supposed to be able to roll it like a jelly roll, but I wasn't able to.  So, I just put the two halves on top of one another for one nice pizza sandwich.  Because mine was garlic bread, I omitted the egg/oregano mixture to spread on top.  I covered the bread in Glad Press and Seal to thaw and once it was thawed, I kept it in there to "pound down" so my hands wouldn't get all garlicky (sp?)...not that that would be the worst thing in the world.

I cut these babies into pieces and we were ready to go.  I decided to make some "Papa John's Garlic Sauce" to dip them into and they were heavenly.  Very crunchy, cheesy, and pizza-y.  Such a simple and easy dish with few ingredients.  My kind of recipe!

Recipe:

1 loaf frozen bread
4 oz provolone cheese
4 oz mozzarella cheese
1/4 lb pepperoni

Egg mixture:
1 egg
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp each of oregano basil and pepper

Thaw bread and allow to rise in greased and covered pan. Punch down and spread into rectangle. Spread with egg and cheese mixture. Cover with pepperoni and then cheeses. Roll like a jelly roll. Brush top and sides with butter. Allow to rise for a short time. Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes. Slice and serve with pizza sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment