Thursday, February 9, 2012

Desperate Housewife

So, my plan worked. I decided to wait 8-9 years to begin watching a show, and now I can watch the entire series in a matter of a couple months. No waiting for suspenseful season ending cliffhangers. No waiting weeks to see how something is gonna turn out. The next episode is at the touch of a button.

No, this really wasn't my plan. I used to make fun of my mom and sisters for watching AND enjoying Desperate Housewives. I never really watched it myself or really gave it a chance but I would see commercials and it looked ridiculous. Since staying at home, the TV has been my companion and no, I don't have it on all day. I turn it off in the afternoons to have some nice, quiet playtime.  Some of Nolan's first words don't need to be "blackmail" or "Cabs are heya!".  I would watch a particular show on Lifetime from 11-12 and right after is Desperate Housewives. I happened to catch the pilot episode and I was like, hmmm, this isn't so bad. The next day, I watched episode 2 and so on til I couldn't handle waiting a day between episodes. Yay for Netflix and their Instant Watch and I am already on Season 5.

It sounds ridiculous, but there have been some scenes I have felt very close to. I have only been staying at home for 9 months (hardly a desperate situation) but still a situation I can relate to.  I was a working lady for a solid 10 years with various jobs where I was good at what I did.  I made a difference somehow and would get promotions based off of what I accomplished.  My job now is to raise my son: to help him learn and to grow.  Every day I feel an immense amount of pressure to do a "perfect" job at it.  But, unfortunately, every day is unpredictable and every day can't be perfect.  Something I have had to come to realize.

This is a quote of an episode I watched today that I feel a lot of SAHM's can relate to.  If you want the context, you will need to watch Season 5, Episode 8. :)

Bree: "I wrote a cookbook, Sandra.  Meatloaf, pot pies, peach cobbler. Why are you trying to crucify me? 
Sandra: "Because, it's not a cookbook, Bree. It's a "look how great I am" book.  One designed to make every woman who reads it feel like a failure if she doesn't measure up.  What you are selling is a total sham."
Bree: "But it isn't Sandra, cause I don't think I'm great. I have fallen down more times than I can count, just like so many other housewives out there. We're all just barely holding on and we all think that we're alone. So maybe you're right, maybe it isn't a cook book: it's a lifeline from me to those other women because I want them to know there's always a chance to get SOMEthing right. Even if it's just a casserole."

So no, I don't have a boss now to tell me I'm doing a good job and to keep up the good work.  Scott tells me all the time I do a good job, but we all know it's not the same.  My boss is a 9-month old who poops, thinks its funny to blow food in my face, and occasionally gets the nickname Whinypants McGillicuddy.  He also smiles constantly, laughs hysterically, likes to roll the ball back and forth with me, and says "Mama".  He reaches up for me, gets excited to see me, and thinks anything I do is the funniest thing in the world.  Maybe I don't have someone telling me I am making a difference to the organization, but I know I'm making a difference for our family and that adorable little boy I get to take care of every single day.  And that smile is all I need.

2 comments:

  1. This was very touching Jessica. It reminds me of why I used to have you write my Christmas letters. You are a great writer and a great mom!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. You do a great job and you are very funny and yet you paint a great picture of your love for your family. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete