I've watched many a cake shows thinking, "Man, I could do that!" I've been mentioning to Scott for the past 7 months or so that I want to try making a cake and his answer was always, "Do it!" Well, why wouldn't he, it IS cake afterall. And he probably would get to eat it, especially if it was a just-for-fun cake. I decided to hunker down this last week and came across some very helpful websites, what to do, what not to do, what the perfect recipes are, etc., so I felt sorta prepared.
For my first practice cake, I relied on old Betty Crocker for the cake mix and frosting. I used Super Moist Chocolate and Milk Chocolate frosting. I also used marshmellow fondant as this got the best reviews for taste, durability, and ease of use. And it was incredibly inexpensive to make. Fondant gets a bad rap for it's bland taste, but Scott was eating the leftover pieces of fondant like it was his job. So, I think he would say it tasted good. If this becomes a thing I do more often, I might try my hand at making my own frostings. I don't think I will touch the cake part of it because it seriously is super moist even a few days later sitting out. I made a few errors and kinda improvised on how I was gonna design it. It is pretty sloppy looking cause I don't have any cookie cutters or good knives to cut out pieces and I was trying to hurry to help Scott with Whinypants McGillicuddy. So, the stems are a bit fat looking and the flowers are a bit...interesting. It's also a bit lumpy on top cause my first try at putting the fondant on was a fail and it took off part of the top of the cake when I had to remove it to put back on. I don't think it looks too bad though for a first try.
I have a design picked out for a cake I'm gonna make for my sister's bridal shower here in the next month and I'm going to be making Nolan's birthday cake. Hopefully they will turn out better after I make some changes. Wish me luck!
Good luck! Your first at bat looks good to me! =)
ReplyDeleteThanks Paige!
ReplyDelete