Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Restaurant: Trini's

One restaurant that I have had to hear about almost every single week from Scott is the Mexican Restaurant Trini's and how it is God's gift to man.  He goes about once a week, and he and his co-workers will just walk in, sit down, and their food will be there in 10-15 min with just the acknowledgment of the waitress.  No ordering, no fuss- the staff remembers exactly what they want.  So you would think after all the excitement of this place for the past three years living in Omaha that I would have tried it at least once.  Well, then you would be mistaken.

I don't hardly ever get down to the Old Market as much as a good Omahan should. When Scott mentioned going down to the Farmer's Market this past Saturday, I thought how I've been cooped up in this house all day and he might as well have suggested going to DisneyWorld.  Heck yes we should go! When I worked all the time, all I wanted to do was be at home.  Now that I am home all the time, all I want to do is leave the house.  Just one of those things.

So we will be in the Old Market for the morning, why don't we go to Trini's for lunch??  Perfect suggestion!  So we walked around the Farmer's Market for about two seconds as it was extremely hectic and not easy to maneuver with a stroller, went to Scott's office real quick, and headed to Trini's.

Now this place is located in the underworld and that picture that you see above is below street level.  It is in its own magical city below Omaha with shops that you only have access to down there. We had to take this roundabout way as we had a stroller and I thought we were entering a dungeon.  After slaying the fire breathing dragon and waiting til 11:30 when they opened, we got seated at one of the "outside" tables that you can actually see in the picture.  The ambiance is very dark inside, so it was nice to be outside with a little bit of light especially on an early morning. I knew exactly what I would get as I do not stray from cheese enchiladas and of course Scott knew he wanted (chips and salsa and chicken enchiladas with sour cream) so we ordered and got our food within about 15 min. Now Scott told me to be prepared for my enchiladas to be better than La Hacienda in Holdrege so he was setting the bar pretty high.

I took a bite of the enchiladas and they were absolutely delicious!  You never know what type of cheese you are gonna get when you go to a Mexican restaurant and it was very good. The sauce on top complemented it very well.  I was not a huge fan of the rice as I like mine to be a little bit dry but Scott absolutely loved the more liquidy rice.  It's just personal preference. The refried beans could have used a little more flavor, but they tasted great when I scooped them up with each bite of the enchilada.  I would say La Hacienda still trumps this restaurant but out of all the Mexican places we have been to in Omaha, this has been the best.  Scott would say this is his absolute favorite Mexican place of all time.

Even though Nolan didn't have anything to eat, he ripped a big one so freshly scented that the next table looked over at us. We acted just as surprised at this lovely compliment to the meal so maybe we tricked them into thinking it wasn't us.  Just maybe...but probably not. I just think his body was telling him what is appropriate after eating a nice Mexican dinner.

So the next time you are in the Old Market, you need to check out Trini's Mexican Restaurant.  If anything, just go down there to see this cool little underworld for yourself. 

Click here for the website and menu- www.trinisoldmarket.com

Photo Courtesy of: http://www.trinisoldmarket.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment