Monday, January 21, 2013

Books I've Been Reading/Listening To

I've kinda gotten back on the book bandwagon with the help of family recommending some, loaning some, and just for the fact that I love to read.

Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly
Image courtesy of killinglincolnthebook.com

This book was actually an audio book lent to me which made it nice so I didn't have to set aside any time to read. Nolan and I would just listen to one disc a day during lunch. I found this book to be very interesting and I felt that I learned a lot about history that I didn't know and it was really fascinating. O'Reilly does a great job of painting a picture that makes you feel like you were actually in that time period. I would say the first few discs were a bit slow with a lot of history packed in but the last few were very action packed and made you want to keep listening for more. Definite recommend from me. I am currently in the middle of listening to Killing Kennedy so I will let you know how that one turns out.

Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
Image courtesy of goodreads.com

All I'm going to say about this book is that I'm glad I only paid $1.99 for the Kindle version when it was on sale. Ellen is a very funny person. I watch her show almost every day if there is a guest I'm interested in, but this book would have never gotten a second look if it wasn't for her name listed as the author. I don't know if I'm used to her ramblings and streams of consciousness from watching her show, but that was literally the whole book. It was just nothingness and I'm not sure if I laughed very much cause I was getting bored from the nonsensical way that it was written. If you don't watch Ellen every day, this might be funny for you as she has a different style to her comedy. On a positive note, it is a fast read and you will be happy it was.

Fearless by Max Lucado
Image courtesy of liveintentionally.org
While I read Ellen's book during the day, I read a chapter of this book before bed every night. This was gifted to me by my dad for Christmas as I think he knows we have a little trouble in the worry department. Especially me anyway. This book's premise is "Imagine Your Life Without Fear". It is a pretty quick read and makes a lot of great points that I need to remind myself of daily. The very last chapter has some good insight, "There's a stampede of fear out there. Let's not get caught in it. Let's be among those who stay calm. Let's recognize danger but not be overwhelmed. Acknowledge threats but refuse to be defined by them. Let others breathe the polluted air of anxiety, not us. Let's be numbered among those who hear a different voice, God's." That is something I need to read and pray about every morning and I'm sure a lot of us can attest to that.
I've already started on another audio book, a fiction book, and will be starting another quick one to read before bed, so I will let you know how those turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment