Friday, September 14, 2012

The Evolution of an Entry Way

Here's a story, of a lovely lady who was.....STOP.  Wrong story.  This is a story about a lonely entry way.  Every day he would see the people of the house walk by not paying any attention to him.  He felt ugly and empty and just plain sad.  It was because he was.



And scene:
I saw this desperate plea for some sprucing up the entry way, so I went in the basement to get an old TV stand to put in the area.  But it was too small and just made it look dinky and worse.  I kept it there forever and it was annoying.  I decided I needed to do something about it and went to look for a tall table to put there since the wall was so high.  The entry way needed something that would fill a higher wall, so the taller (not creepy taller), the better.  Scott and I went looking at antique stores, asked those who they knew if they had an old table to get rid of and one day, I decided to go to Hobby Lobby as they were having 30% off their furniture.  Which, they always have 30% off their furniture, but who cares.  I also had a 40% off coupon so I scored another 10% off.  WOOT. 

And I found the most....PERFECT...TABLE...EVER!!!  Exact dimensions and look I was going for.  But, I was with the little man and couldn't get it in the car myself.  So, Scott had to come bring his car to pick it up and it made its appearance in our home.  HAPPY DAY!  I will just stare at it with a big smile on my face because I am a freakin weirdo and I feel as though I now have a table that looks like it came from Pottery Barn.  But at 1/5th of the cost.


I couldn't wait to dress it up with accessories and am still working on that part of it, but found a perfect  $20 mirror that I set on top of it to add even more height to the very tall wall.   The green vase with the things sticking out was $3 at Dollar General.  They have vases like this at West Elm for about $20-$40, so I would say I got a good deal on that.


I also got a teal owl that was $4 at HyVee and my favorite- the orange-ish ceramic pineapple that I scored half off at Hobby Lobby.  I really wanted a pineapple for the entry way ever since getting back from Newport because it is a sign of hospitality and they had them everywhere.  And below, here is how it looks now, all FALL-ified!  I added a couple bags of pumpkin/gourd/leaves things at $3 a pop at DG to fill the big vase (which was filled with something different before the FALL-ification), a pumpkin candle, and a little welcome sign.  All of those previously mentioned things will stay minus the fall things year round and I would like to add some taller/brightly colored dimensional things to balance the other side.  I can live with it for now though, but I'm sure it will look different every couple months cause I don't know how to sit still.  :)



How much better does the entry way look now??  (Minus the toys in the hallway :), but hey, it gives it more character)

1 comment: