Friday, September 21, 2012

Smothered Burritos

Scott's before he put his jalapenos on them
And mine. :)
























When I was younger, Taco John's was one of my favorite fast food places to eat.  Who am I kidding, it still is.  One of the things besides soft shell tacos, no lettuce, extra cheese that I would get would be the smothered bean burrito.  An enormous burrito slathered in sauce, cheese, sour cream, olives.  Like, the most amazing thing you have seen in your life.  And I ate every bit of it every single time.   It was too good not to.  They no longer have these which makes life a bit sadder.

They popped in my head recently and after I mourned their extinction again, I thought, maybe I can find a recipe.  And I certainly did.  This recipe calls for tomato soup in the sauce which Scott was a little wary about, but made me think, you know what?  That is sorta is what Taco John's tasted like so I knew we would at least be close.

This burrito couldn't have been closer to TJ's.  These did have meat in them cause Scott did not want just a bean burrito, but otherwise it was just about spot on and really satisfied my hankering for them.  Scott made these but I think they were pretty simple to make and don't take too much longer than what a taco might take to make.  If you are in the mood for just a pile of goodness, please eat these.  And you can top them with whatever tickles your fancy. You will not be disappointed.  I promise.

I was also glad we got to use tomato soup for another reason, but that reason will be revealed later!

Suspenseful, I know.

Recipe can be found here at Sing for your Supper.

1 comment: