Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Project: Crib Rail Protector

Recently, we bought some baby cutlery from a company in Denmark called Toddler.  It was on Woot.com and we couldn't pass it up as it was just too cute not to, and you know it will be a great deal because it came from that website.  Also, they are designed to help your baby learn to feed himself as they are easier to hold than regular utensils. You can tell that the company is European when the instructions on the back of the box give DK, UK, and DE as the different languages to read the directions from.  Thankfully, I can read British (I'm hilarious) and was able to figure just what these fancy dopplegangers are for.  Another reason I knew this was a European product was because of the little note on the back of the box that stated, "Please let your child use this box for its treasures."  How proper and quaint.  Why can't we all speak that way?  I just finished the four seasons of The Tudors, so actually I have been speaking that way and so has Nolan.  Yes, he has developed a British accent.  All I ever wanted and needed out of a child has been successfully completed.


I still have this box because I do feel now that Nolan might want it for his treasures. You never know.  Is there a point to this nonsense?  Yes, ok, so next to this little note was a recycle sign.  We aren't what you would call a recycling family.  Hoarding things, yes, but recycling, no.  Burn us at the stake!  Again, Tudors mindset.  I have been looking for a crib rail protector for Nolan's crib as soon he will be standing about and chewing on it like a rabid beaver and my, I mean his, beautiful crib that was supposed to last him through adulthood (after being converted to a full size bed of course) would have been tainted.

The cheapest one that I liked on Amazon was about $25.  Not horrible, but still $25.  I decided to browse around on Pinterest to see if there was anything I could make.  I am now a master seamstress because I made some pillows and curtains.  There was a tutorial on there about using a fleece blanket and and cutting it to tie to one another.  Again, one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.  Thankfully, we have a boatload of fleece tie blankets I had made in high school (I believe I mentioned the hoarding).  They counted as extra credit for my Home Ec class and I would make one a class period.  Since we have so many of these blankets we never use, I thought why don't I take one apart and use it for his crib?!  So, I picked the color that best suited his room.  Every single blanket I made had some sort of solid blue fleece attached to it.  Obsess over a color much?  But, perfect for his room, nonetheless.  It took me about 20 min to do the whole front.  So, I guess we are a bit of recyclers in ways that help save us money- new $0 crib rail protector-by recreating something we don't use into something we need.

Let's look at some rail protector action at this time:



Instructions on how to make one of your own can be found at Navigating the Mothership.

The Tudors, by the way, is an amazing AMAZING series to watch if you enjoy that era or history in general.  I'm thinking of watching it over again...

No comments:

Post a Comment