Monday, March 12, 2012

The Accountant's Wife's Lament

Ok, lament might be a bit on the dramatic side, but just go with me here. It is tax season. Don't get me wrong, we feel blessed that Scott has a job that he loves and his job has allowed me to do what I love- stay at home with Nolan. That said, tax season is about as awesome as checking to see if your child has a poopy diaper, having them jerk, and finding your fingers covered in it. It's crap.

Scott gets up around 4:00 AM some days and doesn't get home until 10:00 PM at night. 7 days a week. Weekends don't exist in this house, it just keeps on going. Last week, he would have gone 4 full days in a row of not seeing Nolan awake if it not had been that the first of those four days we ventured down to the Old Market to have lunch with him. He has gone plenty of days since January without seeing him, just not that many in a row. Thankfully we have FaceTime that we do on those days before Nolan goes to bed. Yes, it is extremely exhausting and tolling on Scott especially when all he wants to do is be home with us.

But I did say this was the wife's lament right? This is the first tax season I am home all day and taking care of a baby. Even though I am with another human, I still don't have any adult conversations the entire day. I think my friends/family sometimes regret calling me halfway through the conversation because of how much I talk and don't want to get off the phone. I can and will talk for hours. It's lonely and I feel like a single parent the majority of the time. Props to all single parents- seriously do not know how you do it. If it weren't for Skype, FaceTime, family coming up on weekends, and a few occasional trips to Lincoln I have made, I probably would have drowned in a pool of melted chocolate and peanut butter (Reese's naturally). And Oreos. And Dr. Pepper. I haven't exactly been healthy during this time. That's about all I have been eating for the past week and my heart hurts a little bit. I wish I had self control. Scott hasn't been home, so I can't make dinner for us so I have just been snacking. Or having a Slim Fast at night. Hence, the lack of food posts. I could show you the trash can of empty candy wrappers and pop cans if you like though.

I'm going to need to start working out again as we have a VERY, like ridiculously exciting summer ahead of us. I think besides our wedding year and baby year, this has to be the 3rd most exciting summer of our lives. Weddings, babies, trip with a baby, and a trip with a wedding. There is a light at the end of the tunnel of course, and it will be soon. I can see it if I look very closely.

1 comment: