So, if you couldn't tell by the juicy hamburger I talked about previously, I don't like to eat meat that much. Well, most of the time. I'm just not a huge fan of it. It has nothing to do with the animals, it just grosses me out, that's it. Now, my sister Kim is a vegetarian. What set her over the edge you say? The movie: Food, Inc. This was a movie she watched over Christmas time a year and a half ago and I saw images as she was watching it and decided I was never going to watch it myself as it looked icky. It showed them slaughtering animals and whatnot- didn't know the context of it.
Well, here we are at the present and I decide to watch the movie for myself. (Instant watch on Netflix- seriously get Netflix if you don't have it. Well worth it. Watched the entire movie on my phone and it loaded as soon as I pushed play.) I am glad to say that I did end up watching it on my phone as some of the images would have been horrible to see on a large TV.
The premise of the movie is basically to investigate where and how we get our food. It discusses the growth hormones that are put into the animals and how they engineer these animals to grow faster, be bigger, and be better suited to what the consumers want (ex. large, white meat chicken breasts). To be honest, I really don't care about animals. Go hunt all you want, just don't get any animal bits on my carpet. I have seen a deer be completely skinned, but some of things I saw in this movie were completely disturbing. Some big companies (ones that you might have in your fridge/freezer at this very moment) refused to be interviewed because they knew if people knew what their practices were, no one might eat their products again.
Some of the statistics in the movie were absolutely appalling and I learned some things that I never knew before about the industry. The agenda of the movie is not to make a person never want meat again or bash farmers. It is about the overall big picture of the industry: who exactly is running the show and what happens in the process. It may not turn you into a vegetarian or care more about animals, but it will definitely change the way you look at what is on your plate at dinner time and maybe think twice about what type of meat you are getting and where it is coming from. I recommend you watch it and let me know what you think!
No comments:
Post a Comment