Monday, December 19, 2011

Recipe: Moo Goo Chicken and Baked Crab Rangoon

So Scott and I had planned a Mexican meal and an Italian meal for the next couple of weeks and Scott said, "We need a Chinese dish".  This is where I proceed to SCREAM with delight.  Yes, I literally did as I remembered I had a recipe for my mom's Moo Goo and a recipe from Pinterest for Baked Crab Rangoon I have been wanting to try.

Moo Goo was a meal my mom made for us MANY MANY times when were little cause it was always a hit.  There is a lot of preparation cutting up all the veggies, so my mom would always let us help which was really fun for us.  Any time we got to help in the kitchen, we would!  I got the recipe from my mom recently and decided to change it up a bit and just use chicken, brocolli, and carrots.  I still used all of the ingredients of the sauce, which is the star of the show anyway!

One of my favorite Chinese appetizers is Crab Rangoon and I have yet to find any that beats Holdrege's Gourmet House Crab Rangoon.  It's just so yum.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest for Baked Crab Rangoon that I knew I had to try and it is from Weight Watchers which makes it even better!  It is baked and not fried so you save some calories there.  I am sure that I could have found Won Ton Wrappers at Hy-Vee, but people online say they are difficult to find so you might as well make them yourself.  They are made with the most ridiculously simple ingredients, there is no reason not too!  And I love playing with dough.

The meal took a little while to make. I made the dough during one of Nolan's naps earlier in the day as it has to sit out for a little while on its own and I rolled it out and cut it during his next nap. I would advise making the wrappers in advance, even the night before or the weekend before you make it cause they can be stored in the freezer and refrigerator before use.

I gotta say, these Crab Rangoons tasted absolutely amazing.  The wrapper wasn't as crunchy as what you would get at a restaurant because these are baked and not fried but the middle (the essence, mind you) was almost spot on.  If I would have had Gourmet House's sweet and sour sauce, I would have been in heaven.  We settled for soy sauce and it worked just fine.  This little treat combined with the Moo Goo was a lovely meal that warranted leftovers for days and days and days.  It is quite a healthy meal depending on how much soy sauce you decide to use to drizzle on top.  It is also quite a therapeutic meal to make with the dough rolling and the veggie chopping so treat yourself to this dandy of a dish!

Recipe for Moo Goo Chicken:
1 1/2 lb chicken breasts- boned, skinned, cubed
1/2 tsp salt and paprika- sprinkled on chicken
1/4 cup oil- stir fry meat until done, then remove
Add Vegetables to hot oil- stir fry until partially cooked, then add sauce (see sauce recipe in next paragraph)
Vegetables in recipe:  (We just used broccoli and carrots)
1 green pepper cut in strips
4 cups celery
2 cups broccoli
1 cup sliced green onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts

Sauce: Add to vegetables and cook until clear
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
2 Tblsp cornstarch
2 Tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Garnish with slivered almonds (optional)

Serve over hot rice or chow mein noodles

Recipe for Won Ton Wrappers can be found here at AllRecipes.com
Recipe for Baked Crab Rangoon can be found here at Weight-watcher-recipes.net

1 comment: